Tuesday, December 23, 2008

12.21.2008

Mom and Dad spent this morning at the Tabernacle with the choir and then returned home. Dad's maintenance chemo is double the dose he was originally taking, he takes it for 5 days and is then off for 30. Dad took his first dose last evening, so far so good. Dad continues to gain strength each and every day. His coloring is much better, his voice is stronger, and his appetite is slowly improving.


Mom and Dad had a wonderful visit this afternoon with dad's cousin Cherl who lives in Cedar Hills. Cherl and her fun husband are two of our "favorites", their visits bring stories, humor, and endless laughter.

After preparing dad''s medications for the week I spent the remainder of the evening visiting with mom and dad around the "very warm" fire blazing in the fireplace, the poor quality of coal from the Fairview house sparked a great reminiscing conversation of dad's younger days in the coal mines of Castledale. I love hearing dad tell stories of his father and grandfather; two men I never knew. Dad's long term memory is fascinating, he can recall some of the most detailed experiences of his childhood. As we were visiting this evening dad became very quiet, reflective, and emotional as he commented "the Lord is blessing me beyond my understanding. He continued to share "I asked the Lord to bless my body that it would adjust to my new chemo regimen and I have not experienced any side effects, I am so blessed." I assured our father that he certainly is being blessed and so are the rest of us; we, too have petitioned the Lord for various blessings throughout this journey and continue to marvel at the indescribable heavenly love we feel. As I grow older I am discovering that I do not have the ability to remember days like I used to; however, I am more mindful of moments. I am so grateful for the "moments" I experienced tonight, laughing, crying, and reminiscing with our amazing parents.

No comments: