Thursday, December 11, 2008

12.8.2008

Dad had a Water Conservancy Board Meeting today, as I drove him downtown we discussed his upcoming appointments this week, Dad is confident, encouraged, and full of faith that all is going to be well. The focus of our minds, hearts, and prayers today is that we too; will be believing.

Gentry picked up dad from his meeting and took him home following his meeting. We understand and witness the frustration dad experiences with his temporary driving restrictions; we also understand and have witnessed the many blessings that accompany these restrictions.
Several have been provided the occasion to take dad to appointments, treatments, meetings and leisurely rides; what a blessing this is! Although our father looks at these opportunities as inconveniences we are so thankful that our moments to serve have not been restricted.

One of the greatest lessons I continue to learn from my parents is that of earthly service, from the time I can remember my parents have been actively engaged in service to others. Whether it be church, work, civic, school, or throughout their neighborhood our parents believe in service to others. Some of my sweetest memories of childhood are those that involve the acts of service my parents would perform. For several years my mother and I would walk over to Grandma Swain's home where I would watch my mother roll Sister Swain's hair in small black bristled rollers. I would sit on a stool at the kitchen table and marvel at my mother's hair rolling speed as we listened to Sister Swain update my mother and I on the comings and goings of each of her children and grandchildren. Later in the afternoon my mother and I would return to remove the curlers and comb out the crisp curls of fine, fine hair in preparation for Sunday. Another memory of service that took place in Grandma and Grandpa Swain's home are the days my father would return from work, change his clothes and walk over to the Swain home where Burt was bedridden; my father would gently lift Brother Swain's frail body tenderly repositioning him in the bed to prevent bed sores. I recall many late nights when Sister Swain would call for my father to come to Burt's bedside to perform a sacred priesthood blessing or assist in changing bedding. My memories of being in the Swain home are memorable and magical, I still to this day can recall the smell of their home, the sound of Grandma Swain's voice, and the adventures we had in their fascinating yard; but the greatest memories of all are the examples of service rendered by my parents and the gracious acceptance and appreciation of their offerings from Fern and Burt.

Through their acceptance of this gift of cancer our parents continue to teach the powerful principle of service; they are providing each of us opportunity and inspiration to reach out to others. I don't know that our parents will ever be able to comprehend the number of lives they have touched, changed, and inspired; my own being one of them.

No comments: