Tuesday, September 23, 2008

9.19.2008

Dave spent the morning with dad enjoying another walk in this beautiful Fall weather. Dad is exhausted from his long day yesterday and will enjoy being able to take it easy and rest today. Maigan was able to talk with dad on the phone today.

Mom took dad for a little ride downtown to pick up a few groceries and dinner, dad was craving a chicken alfredo pizza.

We are anxiously awaiting the arrival of Marty, Teri and these three beauties, they will be here late this evening.

As we are each gaining new knowledge in the cancer arena we have been thrown into I have found the greatest source of learning and education has come from observing my father and the manner in which he has embraced this current challenge. Even in the darkest of hours dad continues to focus on the goodness surrounding him, with this attitude he has created an environment of hope and peace.

I began to notice dad's optimistic and hopeful state of mind while he was in the hospital, I did not realize at the time that my thoughts were being reshaped. I observed dad on a daily basis saying "Thank You", for everything whether it be big or small, painful or pain free, delicious to the taste or "fowl" to the taste, repetitive or new Dad expressed his gratitude daily and continues to do so. Each day I am discovering more and more to be grateful for. Dad's smile is always present even at those times when he could not possibly feel like smiling. I now find myself smiling and searching for new reasons to smile each and every day. Dad has taught me that reshaping your thoughts is a whole lot easier than reshaping your body and takes a lot less time, effort, and energy.

If we want the Lord to sustain and help us gain strength during our trials we must be willing to do the things he has counseled us to do.

"Be of good cheer, little children; for I am in your midst, and I have not forsaken you." D&C 61:36

Like dad I am going to express gratitude each and every day, this thought alone gives me a reason to smile.

No comments: