Monday, October 20, 2008

10.17.2008

Week three of radiation is now complete, I met dad at his radiation appointment today and we walked together over to the hospital to have his blood drawn. As we sat waiting for the phlebotomist dad was recalling waking up last evening in the middle of the night worrying about a few things that needed to be done to the trailer and car before winter arrives. When we pulled in the driveway he mentioned that he was going to take the battery and propane tank off of the trailer, I saw this as an opportunity for a learning moment. Together we walked over to the trailer and he began to instruct me on how to accomplish the task of winterizing the trailer, dad took the propane tank and I carried the battery. As we walked home in silence I thought to myself how grateful I am for these simple teaching moments with my father.

"Gratitude is deeper than thanks. Thankfulness is the beginning of gratitude. Gratitude is the completion of thankfulness. Thankfulness may consist merely of words. Gratitude is shown in acts." President David O. McKay

At the end of each day I find myself reviewing of how my Father in Heaven blessed me today, without hesitation, I recall the multiple ways our parents continue to teach us. Dad is steadfast in his expressions of profound gratitude for each simple act of kindness rendered to him, he is so thankful.

"And he who receiveth all things with thankfulness shall be made glorious; and the things of this earth shall be added unto him, even an hundred fold, ye more."
D&C 78:19
I continue to pray that I will remain teachable and continue to show gratitude in all things.

No comments: