Tuesday, November 4, 2008

11.2.2008

The weather outside is reflected in dad's hospital room today; dad is still struggling with his gout and the medicine they are giving him just makes him sleepy. Marty,Mom, Matt and his family spent the afternoon watching dad sleep. I arrived later in the afternoon; after watching dad sleep for an hour I suggest he try to stay awake and eat some dinner. Nothing sounds appetizing to him, it takes a great deal of encouragement and talk of "home" to get him to submit to hospital food. Dad did eat some meat, potatoes, gravy, carrots, jello and a few bites of carrot cake. I then gave him some of his frozen Jamba Juice in a dish and he ate that as well, every bite taken is one step closer to home.

Following dad's dinner the three of us had the most delightful conversation about their childhoods and simpler times. Their intriguing stories invited laughter, tears and tender sentiments into dad's gloomy hospital room. Whether I am with mom and dad for a minute or hours on end I inevitably walk away having learned a powerful principle or lesson. I learned things about my grandparents, great-grandparents, and aunts and uncles today that I would have never known had I not spent the evening in room 780. Thanks mom and dad for an inspiring evening.

No comments: