Tuesday, November 25, 2008

11.24.2008

Dad phoned early this morning to see if I could bring him some milk, his had gone bad. When I arrived at their home it was evident that dad was in a great deal of pain, the gout has settled in the arches of his feet and he is miserable. Dad had been waiting for me to arrive so that he could eat his breakfast and take his morning medications.

I spoke with mom on my way to work and she informed me that dad had a miserable night. He was in a great deal of pain and had even spiked a temperature, she was able to bring his fever down but his pain is causing him great discomfort. She and I are both going to do some research today to see if there is more we can do for dad.

Mom spoke with one of the nurses at the college and she mentioned several things that we could do to try to alleviate some of dads pain. When I spoke with mom at lunchtime she was on her way to find some cherry juice; we will try anything at this point.

I called dad on my way home from work and when I asked how he was doing he replied "wonderful, I feel so much better this afternoon. I think I have finally gotten on top of this gout". I could hear in dads voice his improved strength, encouraged demeanor, and once again, his positive attitude. He told me that he had eaten a can of Campbells Chicken Noodle Soup for lunch and was planning on having Campbells Tomato Soup for dinner. Campbell Soup Company, we love you!

With each new day we find dad's physical strength improving and his determination and dedication powerful. I am discovering and appreciating that nothing is worth more than one more day.

No comments: